Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Sunday, July 17, 2005

Cycling in the woods

Decided to get off my ass, put it in a saddle, and get on it again. Then I had to decide where to cycle to --- I figured a nearby town called Bebenhausen, since I had about 90 minutes of daylight left at 8.30pm. This meant going through a forest. The first sign I saw said "Bebenhausen 1.5km". The second sign said "Bebenhausen 1.9km". The remaining signs I saw -- and there are quite a few ones missing in the forest, even at crossroads --- didn't say Bebenhausen anywhere. I was completely lost, and kept cycling, hoping to find a small town somewhere.

After about an hour, I bumped into the first soul I'd seen since I entered the forest. It was Tom Lal, from my department! I haven't seen too much of him, so he recognized me, not vice versa. (I'm terrible with faces...) Turns out that I had traced a large curve, and was pretty close to the start. I cycled with him and his running pal for a few minutes (good runners, them) and discovered we had another mutual acquaintance in Chicago (Altun) - and that the forest we were in went on for 15-20km in directions I could have taken - before we got to a main road, and they pointed me home.

Surprisingly, when I got back to a road I knew, I found I had didn't have any more uphill cycling to do. On my way into the forest I passed this nice steep downhill stretch, and was really not looking forward to coming back up that way. The alternative way we'd come skipped that (now) uphill patch, which was really nice. It's a lot easier to have a gentle uphills for a long way, mixed in with a few downhills, than a sharp uphill.

I never did find Bebenhausen. That's for another day. Maybe.

Now I better go take a shower. I've found a couple of bugs from the forest on me, and while I've removed the visible ones, there are probably others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home