Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Cycling, funny obituaries, and ergonomics

Getting back into the hang of writing C++ code. Slowly. Sure wishing I had my copy of Stroustrup's 3rd edition around.

Cycled downtown today at 1800 to verify that the bank does indeed close at 1630, and that the local library needs to see my passport to join it (I hadn't planned to stop there, so I'd left my passport at home). Spent 15 minutes there reading a Grisham. Would have been longer, but they were closing. They've got a very small (under 200 books) but decent collection of English books. I'm still going through Arthur's box of books though. He also suggested, when he found I liked Rob Rankin and Terry P, that I ask Jeremy for some books of Steven Aylett. There, I've written that name down before I forget it.

I then pushed my bike up the hill, as usual. Finally investigated that shortcut by the forest. Doesn't save much time. Costs lives, though. Of slugs. (Cause of death: wheel-related, not shoe-related. I hope. I've been avoiding looking at my soles of late.)

I'll have to be careful cycling once I'm back in Chicago. Apparently the cops are cracking down on cyclists like me who believe in flexible rules.

Meanwhile, I hadn't heard about the interesting obituary notice of D.G.Cully, 86. Here's a phrase that wouldn't be out of place in an Aylett novel (there, I said it twice. Now I can't forget the name.), let alone in an obit, particularly when it's not that of the person named.

Unable to actually prove this complex theory scientifically, and frustrated by the cruel conspiracy of the so-called "scientific community" working against his efforts, he ultimately stuck his head in a heated gas oven with a golden delicious apple propped in his mouth. Miraculously, the apple was saved for the evening dessert. Calvin was not.

In the middle of another story (and I don't understand what the problem with men wearing shorts to work is), Jan Wong mentions an interesting fact:

You'd think worker bees would get more sluggish when temperatures rise. But according to a 2004 study by Cornell University, warmer temperatures actually increase productivity. When the office temperature was cranked from 20 C to 25, typing errors dropped 44 per cent and overall typing output rose 150 per cent, according to the study by Cornell professor Alan Hedge.

So when it's a nice, civilized temperature we type faster and make more mistakes? Well, the only way to find out is by reading Professor Hedge's articles. And, I have to say, he has a mighty interesting publication record. I really would like to read about the "Effect of providing foot support on lower leg temperature for sedentary workers." (Proc.Hum.Fac.Ergo.Soc.'03). I'm not being sarcastic. I'm a geek - I really would like to read that. And this is when I start cursing, because none of these papers are online. When are people (outside cs/math/phy/astro) going to make it a habit of putting all their papers online? (You can get around journal copyright restrictions by publishing drafts, or better, publishing in modern journals that leave copyright with the authors.)

Introduced one of my officemates to AIR. He's not got much work done today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home