Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Back in Chicago at last!

After ten days in Lisbon for the SigDial workshop (total participants ~ 90) and the
Interspeech 2005 conference (total participants ~ 1300), and a couple of days in England visiting friends and relatives, I'll have to fill up the blogspace of the past few days with details of that. It's pretty hard to blog when things are actually happening all around you (e.g. I didn't blog at ICML) and you are laptopless.

The flight back was United. Midway through the flight, about five minutes after I'd begun to wonder what the Ashes score was and whether I could ask the crew to radio London to find out and had decided against it since it would be too much trouble to explain what cricket was, the American pilot announced that the match had been drawn (cue scattered applause across the plane) and that England had thus won the Ashes (more applause).

I sure hope the people who owe me money pay up soon so I can pay the people I owe money. They've said it would happen this week - hope it does!

Note to self: when getting back from O'Hare with 100 pounds of luggage, don't take a number 6 bus doing a sardine can impression. Very bad for the legs.

Note to self: return those "German 101" language tapes to the Chicago Public Library. They're 2.5 months overdue. (Hey, I got to tape 8 of the 12 tapes...)

After getting off the bus, my luggage and I walked to my new apartment and got the keys from the building manager. It's a nice place - cheap, large, clean - though it's a basement (not good security-wise). Then I got some groceries from Hyde Park Produce and some Chinese takeout. Had dinner, and then went to school to find a couch to sleep on. I won't have a bed for a few days - the nice person (Toko) with whom I've stored my futon is away till the weekend - and my sleeping bag is in my cs office to which another friend has the key. I should get the sleeping bag today. That should be good. I only had four hours of fitful sleep last night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dinoj said...

I'm one of the people whose comments appeared the BBC's Reaction to England's Ashes win page!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home