Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Thursday, December 01, 2005

Woohoo! Debuggified!

I was in bed this morning, considering whether to get out or not, when the phone rang. It was D, who wanted some work out of me. We talked a bit, with me throwing in a long silence to mean "No" and then saying "Yes, kinda".

"Are you sick?" she asked.

"Er, no. I haven't gotten vertical yet."

"What?"

"I haven't got out of bed yet."

"Oh."

At least this had the effect of converting my "Yes, kinda" to a "No, not really", which shoved the burden of work from me to her. (I'm a sod, since this was because I had done something I knew she and M didn't want, namely rendering a movie in fullscreen instead of widescreen format.) It also had the effect of getting me out of bed. Unfortunately, not quickly enough, and I missed a seminar I'd really wanted to attend but had forgotten to set an alarm for. (Not that my success rate with alarms is particularly good.)

So, not the best start to the day.

It got worse.

I had got stuck in my implementation of a HMSVM using SVM Struct, and had emailed the author (TJ) to figure out wtf I was doing wrong. He told me very promptly... and it meant I'd screwed up badly.... this would take a week to fix.

Then I went to SW's Masters thesis defence, and that was good. Then Iri and I took Yaz out for coffee to pick her brain, and got some good ideas.

So, the day was evening out now. (Even though Iri did tell me that I'd missed a great seminar. Rats...)

Fortunately, it then got good.

Remember that thing that TJ told me about that I thought would take a week to fix? It took a lot less - just 2 or 3 hours!

Then it got really good.

I found the bug that ha been killing me for the past several days. I had written a "==" instead of a "!=" in line 943 of a 1981-line C file. Fun fun fun. At least I found it using a relatively systematic method, not simply by accident. And in the process discovered lots of other bugs that I might not have noticed otherwise. Well, not really - I would have found them in time. It would have been good to have found this bug much earlier... but it was such a mundane thing that it was really hard to find.

Overall, the positives outweighed the negatives.

Oh, and I whacked MR in table tennis yesterday, and I'm going to do so again tomorrow. Our last match (sniff!) before he leaves Chi-town...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home