Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Monday, January 03, 2005

Temperature falling

The temperature is falling here. It's still fairly warm for this time of year, i.e. around freezing. I went for a walk around 10pm, with a single fleece jacket. It was meant to be a short run, but I didnt take any gloves, and couldn't persuade myself to take my hands out of my pocket. Other than that, though, it was a nice walk. Not too many other people walking along Lake Michigan at that time of night. Just a couple of folks walking their dogs.




Applied
for a NASA workshop at the AMNH for visualization; took about an hour to write up my application, peppering it with urls of work I've done. Will have to apply for another ed/vis workshop in the morning.

Why, oh why, don't I do visualization for my thesis? Because I'm a one-trick pony, that's why. Well, not quite. I make the same pony do many tricks.

Speaking of thesis, my efforts to implement a Hidden Markov SVM in SVMLight are going slowly... just read Thorsten's paper on SVMLight, in a book collection of papers, was kicking myself for not having looked for it sooner. I already have HMSVM code, from Yasmin & Thomas, but can't get it to work right. What am I doing wrong?

Met with Gina and Irina in the afternoon, to brief them on what I learnt at NIPS and plan our NLP reading group this quarter. Decided to alternate between Irina's research and mine each week. Meanwhile, will discuss prosody's use in dialog act classification next week.

Wondering if I should really get that suite of dimensionality reduction algorithms together. Not sure how to get it published even if I do get it together. There's a special issue on similarity-based pattern recognition coming up, would be nice to be able to meet that deadline. And absolufinglutely no chance of meeting it, bien sur.

Jo sent me a nice link, to the Killer Quiz, on which I scored just 6/10. Advice to anyone taking the quiz: go with the stereotypes of what a programmer looks like, i.e. long haired if out of academia or post-1970 and suited-up professor otherwise. Do that and you should get about 8.5/10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home