Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Sunday, December 04, 2005

Coding, and the 99p Challenge

I am now officially chuffed. The HMSVM code is working (as far as I can tell), and I've added command line options so it can do five different loss functions - Hamming, weighted Hamming, and normalized versions of both. Plus 0-1 loss, of course. I still can't believe what YA said about the simplest (0-1) working the best, not because I don't trust her to know what she's talking about and the experiments she did, but because I'm too dumb to understand them and can't see why that should happen.

Anyway, my code's working reasonably well on my synthetic data, and now I just have to remove a bunch of printf statements and set it going on some real data. With any luck, we'll even have something for Dresden! That deadline's this week. Speaking of which, I told JL about the SVM+Viterbi results, and he was very surprised (because there was no good reason for what I did to have worked), so maybe we're on to something. Plus he gave some pointers to some interesting speedup methods suggested by HD, and that'll be investigated.

Oh, and we had a snowball fight today. A very short one.

Apparently my middle name is now Hejju. That j is pronounced the German (or Spanish or pretty much any language except English) way.


Discovered a treasure trove of archives of my favorite radio show, the 99p Challenge. Have I mentioned that Sue Perkins is
awesome and that she's pretty high on my list of People I Never Want to Mudsling With? Alas, the show is going off-air next week? How will I survive? This man cannot live on the News Quiz and Old Harry's Game alone, y'know...

Actually, Sue's profile on the Mel & Sue website is a nice spoof, even if it's hard to find episodes of "her late-night show "Beat the Panel", an hilarious quiz show about panel beating" on the net. Funny that she was reluctant about being out. Why reluctant? Well, that was 2002. Maybe things weren't so tolerant for lesbians in British showbiz then. I should check with N & B, who I owe an email anyway.

Speaking of which, Britain just allowed civil unions - basically state-registered marriage. Excellent! Well... this is mostly good news. There's still the question of "What took this so long?", but better late than never.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home