Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Monday, December 05, 2005

Notwork (noun) a non-working network

I got most of the main bugs out of my HMSVM implementation, and managed to test it on some real Dialog Act Classification data. There's good news and bad news.

The good news is that the code runs very fast.

The bad news is that it doesn't produce very good results - 27% success rate compared to 57% with our old results. Sheise.

I told this to XZ as he was walking around (he'd been coding for a while too, and needed to stretch) and passed my cubicle. He commiserated, and pointed out that the reverse would have been preferable. C'est vrai, c'est vrai...

This kinda makes redundant the talk I'd just had with GL about how we would meet the upcoming deadlines. Not much use if this code (and I hope it's not the algorithm) is working in dummcomf mode.

I was just about to start running some other processes, when the network became a notwork. This must be Lucy's way of telling me to read some papers instead of programming today.

Listened to some 99p Challenge early episodes in the morning, when Sue Perkins was a panelist instead of the host. She's a better host than the one she replaced, that's for sure.

Addendum: after three hours, the network's working again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home