Life is a Rabbit Pellet

Ramblings of a Zimbrindian's travels, life, and research.



Saturday, February 04, 2006

long time no blog

I've not really blogged about me the past two weeks, for good reasons - it's hard to blog about very interesting things, and very boring things, in that chronological order. For the record, shi(f)t happened.

I'm back now, and that feels good. Decided to start implementing a fast linear svm today - it's one of those rare situations that the author of the paper actually gives all details, even the minor ones, required to code something. Meanwhile, designing a general c++ library is hard.

I'm hoping to be able to get to Australia for EMNLP this year. I'd given up on going, as ACL's impossible to get into, but learnt yesterday that EMNLP is going to be there as well. I'll probably have to pay for most of my air fare though. At least accommodation will be free, though!

Looking forward to On-The-Media this week, since Xeni Jardin's cohosting it. She blogs on Boingboing.

Will have to get back to the thesis soon. Terrified that whatever I try won't work. And keep wanting to do other things, like the linear svm mentioned above. But that's important...

Did a lot of writing this week, including wikipedia entries on the Adler Astro wiki (I'll link to that when Mark sorts the permissions issues out) and my other hobby.

Ran three miles today, legs feel okay - for now. Ordered a new pair of running shoes too, so I can try running outside again. Found some New Balances cheap online ($35 including shipping) - they've worked for me before - hope I got the right size. I feel I can only run with my old tattered takkies on treadmills, and I'm tired of having to wait till 11 till I can get on one at the Ratner without having to wait.

It feels very strange to be in control of myself again. Is this what being normal feels like? How unusual. It's almost pleasant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home